Table of Contents
PART I: INTRODUCING THE ISSUES: CROSS-BORDER CULTURAL PRODUCTION
1. "International Film Production: Interests and Motivations"
(Ben Goldsmith and Tom O'Regan)
PART II: LABOR AND TRADE UNION ISSUES
2. "Behind the Scenes: How Transnational Firms are Constructing a New International Division of Labor in Media Work"
3. "Creative Differences: The Problems of Outsourcing Knowledge and Media Labor"
4. "Hollywood Unions and the Fight for Work"
PART III: CROSS-BORDER LOCATION ISSUES
5. "Global Locations in Los Angeles: The Promotion of New Cinematic Spaces"
6. "'Managing Uncertainty' on the Gold Coast and the Production Services Industry"
(Tom O'Regan and Susan Ward)
PART IV: CASES IN FILM STRATEGIES AND POLICIES: LOUISIANA, NEW ZEALAND AND CANADA
7. "The Other LA: Louisiana Woos Hollywood"
(Shenid Bhayroo and Eileen R. Meehan)
8. "Cultural vs. Industrial Film Policy: A Comparative Analysis of Recent Canadian and New Zealand Film Policy"
9. "On Location in Hollywood North: Cultural and Economic Dimensions of Runaway Production in Vancouver, B.C."
PART V: GLOBALIZATION AND MEDIA PRODUCTS
10. "Film and Television Formats: The Cross-Border Adaptation of Interactive Media Productions"
11. "Cultural Power in International TV Markets"
Notes on Contributors